Want to buy a new iPhone? With the new iPhone 15 on the horizon it is worth waiting, unless you want a handset Apple might be able to discontinue! Buying an iPhone is a big decision, and it’s important to get the best deal possible.
In this article, we answer all of your questions about when you should and shouldn’t buy a new iPhone — including advice on when Apple is likely to discount the price of older iPhone handsets. There are certain times of the year when buying a new iPhone is a bad idea, and there are certain times of the year when you can get a bargain on a new handset. The trick is knowing when you should buy a new iPhone. Luckily we are here to help.
Here are some tips on when to buy an iPhone to get the best price:
- Buy at the end of the product cycle. Apple typically releases new iPhones in September, so if you can wait until October or November, you’ll likely be able to find a great deal on the previous generation of iPhone. iPhone 14 release date
- Buy during a holiday sale. Apple often offers discounts on iPhones during major holidays like Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Black Friday and Cyber Monday sale
- Buy a refurbished iPhone. Apple sells refurbished iPhones that are indistinguishable from new iPhones, but they’re often much cheaper.
- Buy an unlocked iPhone. Unlocked iPhones can be used on any carrier, so you’re not tied to a specific carrier’s contract. This can save you money on your monthly bill.
Apple is likely to remove the iPhone 12 from sale in September 2023, so if you want one this could be your last chance to buy one. Whether you should is another matter.
The iPhone 12 isn’t the cheapest iPhone (that’s the iPhone SE) but it has the older A14 chip and doesn’t work with MagSafe. When the iPhone 12 is removed from the line up the iPhone 13 will probably get a nice price cut, so we’d recommend waiting for that to happen.
Here is a more detailed breakdown of each of these tips:
Buy at the end of the product cycle. This is usually the best time to buy an iPhone because Apple will be trying to clear out inventory of the previous generation of iPhones in preparation for the release of the new models. This means that you’ll be able to find great deals on the previous generation of iPhones, and you’ll still be getting a great phone.
Buy during a holiday sale. Apple often offers discounts on iPhones during major holidays like Black Friday and Cyber Monday. These are some of the best times to buy an iPhone, as you can often find significant discounts on both new and refurbished iPhones.
Buy a refurbished iPhone. Apple sells refurbished iPhones that are indistinguishable from new iPhones. These iPhones have been returned to Apple for various reasons, but they’ve been inspected and repaired by Apple, and they come with a one-year warranty. Refurbished iPhones are often much cheaper than new iPhones, so they’re a great way to save money.
Buy an unlocked iPhone. Unlocked iPhones can be used on any carrier, so you’re not tied to a specific carrier’s contract. This can save you money on your monthly bill. Unlocked iPhones are often more expensive than carrier-locked iPhones, but the savings on your monthly bill can make up for the difference.
Here are some additional tips for buying an iPhone:
- Do your research. Before you buy an iPhone, it’s important to do your research and figure out which model is right for you. Consider your needs and budget, and compare different models to find the best one for you.
- Check the trade-in value of your old iPhone. If you have an old iPhone, you may be able to trade it in for a credit towards a new iPhone. This can save you a significant amount of money on your new iPhone.
- Consider buying from a third-party retailer. You can often find great deals on iPhones from third-party retailers like Amazon and Best Buy. These retailers often offer discounts on iPhones, and they may also have special financing options available.
I hope this helps!